- Preparation: Easy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 to 4 cups club soda, chilled
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large Vidalia Sweet Onions, cut crosswise into ½ inch rings
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder and the 2 tsp of kosher salt. Whisk in 3 cups of the club soda until the batter is smooth. Add more club soda, about 1 Tbsp at a time, until the mixture is the consistency of thin pancake batter. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 380°F. Dip 8 sweet onion rings in the batter, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Fry the sweet onion rings in the hot oil over high heat, turning occasionally, until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sweet onion rings to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining sweet onion rings and batter and serve hot or warm.
Source: Food & Wine Magazine, September 2008 issue