- Preparation: Easy
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3 large (2lbs) Pacific Gold Russet Potatoes or Pacific Gold Gold Potatoes
- 1 large Vidalia Sweet Onion
- 1 cup matzo meal, medium grain
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oi
- Peel and grate the potatoes and onion by hand or in a food processor and put them in a large bowl. (If you grate the potatoes ahead of time, make sure to soak them in water to keep them from turning color, then drain and squeeze when ready to use.) Add the matzo meal and the egg. Sprinkle in the salt and blend everything together until the onions and potatoes are coated with the egg and matzo meal. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- With clean hands, roll a ball of dough just big enough to fit into the palm of your hand, and flatten it out with your palms to make a round cake. Repeat the process until you have used up all the batter. Set a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Lay 4 pancakes in the hot fat and cook for 1 minute on each side, until they turn golden brown. Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Repeat, adding more olive oil to the pan, until all pancakes are cooked. Serve with sour cream and a side of fresh Applesauce.
Source: The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosie Daley