- Preparation: Easy
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 – 10 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups Mayan Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh marjoram, chopped
- 12 cups (generous) 1 inch cubes day-old ciabatta bread with crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup (or more) low-salt chicken broth
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Add all herbs; sauté 1 minute loner.
Note: Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to bowl, cover, and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until bread is crusty but not hard, reversing sheets after 5 minutes, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to very large bowl and cool.
- Butter 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Stir vegetable mixture into bread. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; whisk in 1 cup broth. Add egg mixture to stuffing, tossing to combine evenly and adding more broth by ¼ cupfuls if dry. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
- Bake stuffing uncovered until cooked though and brown and crusty on top, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
Source: Bon Appétit Magazine, November 2008 issue